Thursday, August 2, 2012

I took a hot shower this morning

The reason why I tell you this lame story about my personal hygiene is simply because just 15 minutes adjacent from me (Riverview) in KwaMsane Township is someone who turned on his/her tap on this morning and no water came out pouring, running down her nice soft, succulent skin, dripping down slowly down her body, making her...(oh sorry about that, I kind of drifted off to another article)... Anyway my point is simple, I always have running water in Riverview...always. Well it boils down to entitlement really, I feel that I am entitled to have running water because I stay in the suburbs of riverview village. But is that really so? anyway let me continue...I have heard people from the township say this countless times. "We are entitled to have running water because we stay in the township, we can't suffer as if we were staying in reserve locations, like rural somkhele, nkodibe,emachibini, etc". Yes it sometimes sounds as if its a matter/question of entitlement. But let us look into this boring but sensitive issue for sec. Who is really entitled to clean running water? Riverview residents? KwaMsane township residents? residents of the rural outskirts of mtubatuba? or the plants? vegetables? fruits? or weeds? [not that weed :)] Okay, weighing entitlement and privilege is senseless just like the "ay" in "Okay". lastly there is a general acceptance that people living the in outskirts of rural Mtuba have,they feel they don't deserve most of the basic services, and they have come to accept this as the norm. Anyway to cut the long story short, we are all entitled to have a hot shower in the mornings.

2 comments:

  1. Thought about that quite a bit yesterday after the scientific presentation. It is remarkable how much we take for granted, and how our productivity depends crucially on the services available. Monsieur Anon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say everyone and everything on this planet is entitled to water-period. No real question there. Question is what needs to be done for it...how...who?

    ReplyDelete